Stronger

Stronger

Sunday, August 19, 2018

Hand-me-downs




A few days ago I was telling a friend about  my hand-me-down "vintage" television that needs to be smacked a few times during our shows to get the picture back on. I sit on a couch that is at least 20 years old. I have clothes that were given to me by friends and some of them are thrift store buys.


I caught myself complaining and feeling like I "need" new things. I begin feeling angry about circumstances and lack of what I believe I need. Instead of thanking God for all the blessings and memories these hand-me-downs bring to mind. The Holy Spirit convicted my heart! **Ouch**



Today as I sat on the bed and looked down at my favorite old comforter, I see that the batting inside has come apart in places and is clumped up in the corner a bit. It is faded and there is a small snag in it. Oh, but it is so soft to the touch and brings such comfort to lay under it. Each piece of old furniture, old books, even that television that gets us off the couch more than once during one show to be smacked all have a memory of where they came from that in most cases brings a smile to my face.

Growing up my mom always took us to church services every Sunday morning, night, and sometimes even on Wednesday night. I would sit in bible class for my age group and soak in everything they taught. I would sit in the auditorium and listen to the preacher with the intention to learn something. As I got older and got my first Bible I would underline scripture and  carry it with me wherever I would go. I read the book of Revelation first and it made want to know more, I was about 10 years old then. Soon I began taking notes during the sermons and telling anyone who would listen what I learned. Before I was a teenager I wanted to join the teen class and go to the teenage Christian conferences because I wanted to learn more.  At 14 years old I committed my life through baptism (Acts 2:38) to God. At 15 years old I helped with Vacation Bible School in Juarez, Mexico. I lived to serve the Lord. 


If it wasn't for my mom's "hand-me-down faith" I may never have known God on a personal level. I may never have known the hope, love, and peace that a relationship with Him provides. I don't believe in Him just because my mom does, I believe because I have seen Him work in my life. I read His word diligently and pray to know Him better. I chose to make that faith mybown that she showed me by taking me to a place to learn about and worship Him. 

In every hand-me-down there is a precious gift, a memory of a time past, and a story to tell. Do you have a hand-me-down that holds a special place in your heart?



My first Bible. Someday I hope to hand this down to someone.

No comments: